"The mission of First Congregational United Church of Christ is to create a Christian community based on the teachings and actions of Jesus of Nazareth by growing in our relationships with God, each other, and our neighbors through a thinking faith, unbounded welcome, creative worship, and generous service."
Founded in 1872, First Congregational Church is the second oldest congregation in Sioux Falls. Since the completion of the historic quartzite structure in 1909, First Congregational has been a fixture at the corner of 11th Street & Minnesota Avenue, in downtown Sioux Falls. We are a congregation of the United Church of Christ (UCC). We seek to strike a balance between our history in the Congregational tradition and our conviction that "God is still speaking" today.
We embrace the UCC motto: "No matter who you are or where you are on life's journey, you are welcome here."
- We don't tell you what to believe, but we promise to step up and walk beside you as you explore the faith for yourself.
- We take the Bible far too seriously to take it literally.
- It feels warm and safe here, big enough to be diverse, small enough to feel like family.
As a congregation of the United Church of Christ…
- Our ancestors include New England Congregationalists and German Pietists.
- Our members today have come from a wide range of faith backgrounds.
- We are a covenantal rather than a creedal church, attentive to scripture, devoted to education and self-governance, informed and guided by the continually unfolding revelation of God.